Maytown Winter Festival 2013
WINTER FESTIVAL OPEN HOUSE
Maytown Historical Society presents an Open House Tour featuring Six Homes in addition to our Winter Festival on Saturday December 14, 2013. Tour hours are 11:00AM - 5:00PM
Tickets for this event are $8.00 in advance or $10.00 day of tour. Advanced tickets can be purchased by calling 717-426-2786. On the day of the tour, tickets may be purchased at the Maytown/East Donegal Museum located at 4 West High Street. A special addition to the Open House Tour this year will be Dolores Hackenberger, lovingly referred to as the Grandma Moses of the Pennsylvania Dutch Country She will be demonstrating her painting in one of the homes featured on the house tour.
Sponsors of this year's Festival and House Tour include: Engle Printing and Publishing, Longwood Manor, Donegal Insurance Group, Union Community Bank and several sponsors who wish to remain anonymous. "THANK YOU"
Maytown Winter Festival 2013
The Maytown Historical Society is planning a third Maytown Winter Festival to be held on Saturday, December 14, 2013, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The event seeks to promote community holiday spirit, and it affords people the opportunity to purchase unique Christmas and other gifts as well as sample a wonderful variety of foods---while being entertained by an array of performers and costumed characters. It also raises funds for the support of the MHS, which is an all-volunteer group of people who operate a small museum, amass town artifacts, and further the appreciation of Maytown's history and cultural life.
On the 14th, the village square and High Street will be lined with vendors selling a variety of wares. A costumed town crier and a Belsnickel (a folkloric figure associated with Christmas among the early German settlers) will flavor the scene, as will wandering carolers and other musical ensembles.
At the c. 1800 Haines House, currently occupied by MHS stalwarts, Dan and Rene Plummer, one will enter into a colonial atmosphere Royal George Inn and be served fine desserts and beverages at linen-covered, candlelit tables, by costumed waiters and wenches.
Or, one may choose to walk a short distance down South River Street and patronize The Sister's Ye Olde Bake Shoppe, where you may purchase delicious apple dumplings, cookies, and other pastries in a Victorian setting presided over by MHS pillars, sisters, Carol Eddins and Susan Corridon.
If you haven't yet been fully fed by material food---how about stopping by the Maytown - East Donegal Museum at 4 West High Street, and feast on our town's history? This year's display remembers the incredible life of our most famous native son, Hon. Simon Cameron, who was born in a Maytown log cabin that once stood but a few paces to the west of the museum, in 1799, and who rose to be one of the most powerful and influential men in nineteenth century America! You can read a time-line of Cameron's life, view lots of photos, be startled by a life-like, dressed mannequin of The General himself, read some of his wittiest statements and those written about him, and even view several items that actually belonged to the great man---some of which are on special loan to the MHS from sister societies in Lancaster and Harrisburg.
The museum also boasts a fine gift shop where you can purchase gifts ranging from pottery, textiles, and smaller souvenirs of town to a huge variety of Byer's Choice figurines---many of which wear Christmastide-Dickensian attire!
Maytown's beautiful and historic churches will be open for tours, displays, and special holiday programming and this year's festival may feature additional venues which are still in the planning stage and may be announced via future publicity.
So travel back in time to a magical place called Maytown, USA to get caught up in the Yule-tide spirit---and support efforts to preserve and expand the quality of our life together!
Maytown Winter Festival 2013
Food, Craft, Antique
For our Third Annual Maytown Winter Festival 2013 an outdoor event to be held Saturday December 14, 2013. Our Vendor Application Form can be downloaded below or for more info please call Rene at 717-604-1801.
SIMON CAMERON EXHIBIT
OPENING MAY 5, 2013
Simon Cameron, Maytown's most famous native son, by far, will be honored with this year's Maytown - East Donegal Museum's exhibit. Cameron (1799-1889) was born in Maytown and died just outside of town at his mansion at Donegal Springs (today's Cameron Inn Estate), and in-between, he became a nationally-known newspaper man, banker, canal builder, railroad builder and tycoon, iron ore developer, US Senator, Secretary of War, Ambassador to Russia, citizen advisor to President Lincoln, political boss of Pennsylvania, agronomist, philanthropist, and father of 10 - one of whom succeeded him in the US Senate. He loved Maytown and spent lots of time in our town during the summers of his retirement years; he also gifted the Lutheran and Reformed churches with parsonages, beautified the town square with a fence, pump, and tulip poplar, and helped out many a poor Maytonian in need of winter coal.
Cameron's 200th birthday was celebrated by the MHS at the Mayfest in 1999, before we had our museum, and he has been featured in a general exhibit on town celebrities, but this is the first exhibit that features him alone.
Curator Bob Lescallette, aided by archivist ,Jack Frank, have put together a collection of photographs, books, and other Cameron things owned by the society and others. The MHS, for example, owns Simon's copy of the US Constitution, while the Lutheran Church has loaned us their paintings of Sen. and Mrs. Cameron, and Bob Lescallette has loaned the exhibit two volumes that once were in Cameron's extensive personal library, both of which are signed by the voracious reader. We have also secured loaned objects from the Dauphin County Historical Society, which meets in Cameron's Harrisburg mansion, and from the Lancaster County Historical Society (LancasterHistory.org). On display will be Cameron's magnificent inlaid writing desk, some beautiful family china cups, a bank note from the Cameron bank in Middletown, and engraving plate to produce business cards which Ambassador Cameron used on his mission to Czarist Russia, some fine pressed glass goblets, and perhaps some other treasures, never seen locally before!
The exhibit will be open to the public on most Sunday afternoons, from 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM , starting on May 5th and ending after the Winter Festival in early December of 2013. Questions may be addressed to Curator Lescallette at 426-1643 or email@example.com.
WRAP-UP OF WINTER FESTIVAL 2012
The Maytown Historical Society's 2nd annual Winter Festival is now history, and, by all accounts, it was another grand success! Thanks to all the vendors and volunteers who helped make it so….as well as our many patrons! A threatening day, weather-wise, turned out to be fine, after-all, and the warmer than usual mid-December temperatures didn't hurt!
The Sister's Bake Shoppe once again did a land-office business and, despite more than doubling their inventory of goodies, sold out prior to their scheduled closing at 2PM. Similarly, the Royal George Inn welcomed over 100 patrons for a fine sit-down luncheon in a colonial atmosphered tavern.
Three of the town's churches were decorated for the season, and all had prepared interesting programs of varied natures, which were well-patronized by the public. The Church of God's nursery school provided wonderful children's presentations, while the Reformed Church sponsored a lively sing-a-long, and the Lutheran Church conducted tours of the sanctuary, showed off a delightful holiday train platform, and sold fascinating third-world items provided through Lutheran World Relief.
Meanwhile, an old-time trolley ferried passengers on 4 trips around the town, as they were regaled with tons of town history by a colonial-costumed guide. Along the way, Santa Claus was spotted, moving toward the old Whiskey Distillery where the jolly old elf set up shop hearing children's wish lists, and his side-kick, the German Belsnickel was also on the scene---with a somewhat less jolly demeanor!
Crowds mulled around West High Street, the square, and South River Street, sampling a vast array of foods from vendors, purchasing gifts, and visiting the town museum for its gift shop and historical display.
The Maytown Historical Society would again like to thank all who helped make this year's fund-raiser a success, and we look forward to more such events in the future.
Please come back in 2013 and help us continue this wonderful venture!
250th Anniversary Commerative DVD
A commerative DVD of Maytown's 250th anniversary celebration has been produced by the Maytown Historical Society. Using several hundred still photos and video recordings from local residents, every aspect of the 4 day celebration has been recorded and transformed into this commerative DVD.
If you were here in Maytown and enjoyed the celebration, this is a great way to preserve those wonderful memories, and a part of Maytown history. With a price of $21.20 each (which includes PA sales tax), they make a great souvnier for yourself or pick several up for gifts. The DVD's are available for sale at the Maytown-East Donegal Museum.
In 1985, a group of citizens banded together to form the Maytown Historical Society. The immediate motivation for establishing the society was the celebration of the 225th anniversary of the town's founding.
With that accomplished in fine style, the society began a more routine, but ultimately more important life of collecting local artifacts, amassing, sharing, and recording historical data.
The society hosts a wide variety of events and fund raisers including the annual "Mayfest" celebrations, as well as monthly programs to raise the historical consciousness of our local population.
In 2002 the Society took a bold and significant step: we saw the realization of a 17-year dream, by purchasing a site for our museum. This log structure may be the oldest structure in the village, likely dating from 1760.
Maytown/East Donegal Museum
The purpose of the Maytown Historical Society is to develop and maintain a continuing, written history of Maytown and East Donegal Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
To seek, acquire/loan and preserve all documents, artifacts and other mementos which exemplify lifestyles and or events of historical significance.
To research, classify and document pertinent information on buildings and to promote the preservation, restoration and registry of such buildings.
To determine the role of Maytown and East Donegal Township in world, national, regional and adjoining area history.
To present programs and events which will be informational, educational and interesting to the members and general public.
To advocate for government policies, ordinances and laws that preserve our historic buildings, farmland and community character.
Since the Maytown Historical Society is a non-profit organization, donations of artifacts may be deducted from income taxes at their appraised value---just as cash donations to the Society may be deducted. If you have questions about this, or are contemplating making a donation to us, please feel free to contact me, the MHS Archivist (Jack H. Frank) at 717-426-3308
Old family photos, histories, diaries, deeds, maps and other documents will be accepted, along with artifacts and materials from citizens, businesses, schools, churches, political parties and other organizations---insofar as the items relate to the Maytown/East Donegal Township Community.
General meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month
PO Box 293
|TOP OF PAGE|