SECTION 1 - Membership
A. PRESIDENT: The President shall:
The membership of the Society shall consist of the following classes:
A. Resident Members Members who are residents of East Donegal Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
B. Nonresident Members Members who are not residents of East Donegal Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
SECTION 2 - Dues
A. Resident and nonresident dues are $10.00 per year.
B. The membership year runs from May 1 to April 30 annually. Members who have not paid their dues by June 1 shall be notified by the Secretary and if dues are not remitted by June 15, they cease to be members of the Society.
C. Life memberships are available at $50.00 per person. The current dues, if already paid, may be applied to a life membership.
D. Sustaining memberships are awarded for an annual payment of $25.00.
SECTION 3 - Officers and Their Election
A. All elected officers of the Society shall be resident members.
B. All terms of office shall be for one (1) year, beginning May 1 and ending April 30. An officer may not hold office for more than two (2) consecutive years.
C. The President shall appoint a nominating committee at the March meeting of the Society each year. The Nominating Committee shall report its nominations at the April meeting. After such nominations have been made, the meeting shall be open for further nominations from the floor. All nominees must agree to be nominated (orally, or if absent, in writing), and to serve if elected. The election, by secret ballot, is held after all nominations have been closed. Unopposed nominees need not be voted on and are declared winners by the presiding officer. Ten members of the Society constitute a quorum to hold an election of officers.
SECTION 4 - Duties of the Officers
B. VICE PRESIDENT: The Vice president shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Society and the Executive Board.
- Appoint chairpersons of committees for which the President is responsible as shown in the organization chart (Attachment 1 of these by laws) plus any special committees which may be required. The President serves as ex officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee and the Auditing Committee.
C. SECRETARY: The Secretary shall:
- Preside over all meetings of the Society and the Executive Board in the absence of the President, and perform all other duties generally associated with the office of the Vice president.
- Appoint chairpersons of committees for which the Vice president is responsible as shown in the organization chart (Attachment 1 of these by laws) and serve as an ex officio member of such committees.
D. TREASURER: The Treasurer shall:
- Keep complete and accurate records of the Society and the Executive Board.
- Carry out the correspondence of the Society.
- Collect the dues and establish and maintain an accurate list of Society members and dues payments.
- Notify all members in arrears in their dues as of June 1 that they will no longer be members of the Society if their dues are not paid by June 15.
- Give a report of membership at the monthly business meetings.
- Appoint chairpersons of committees for which the Secretary is responsible as shown in the organization chart (Attachment 1 of these by laws) and serve as an ex officio member of such committees.
E. EXECUTIVE BOARD: The Executive Board shall:
- Take charge of all monies and funds of the Society.
- Establish and maintain an accurate record of receipts, disbursements, funds, investments and other assets and liabilities of the Society.
- Provide at the meeting in April of each year a written annual financial report, which report shall be duly audited and attested to by the Auditing Committee.
- Present a current financial report at the monthly business meetings.
- Deposit the funds of the Society in a bank depository selected by the Executive Board.
- Appoint chairpersons of committees for which the Treasurer is responsible as shown in the organization chart (Attachment 1 of these by laws) and serve as an ex officio member of such committees.
- Furnish a bond, paid for by the Society, in an amount to be determined by the Executive Board.
- Be vested with the general management of the Society.
- Consist of the elected officers of the Society plus the immediate past president.
- Appoint resident members of the Society to fill vacancies which may occur in the ranks of the officers.
- Investigate and recommend changes in the Constitution and By laws which are considered to be in the best interests of the Society.
- Annually select a bank depository in which the funds of the Society may be deposited and monies disbursed.
A. By laws may be amended as follows:
SECTION 5 - Meetings
A. General meetings of the Society shall be held on the second Thursday of each month. Extra meetings may be held at the discretion of the President or Executive Board.
B. Meetings of the Executive Board shall be held at least once every three months at a time convenient to the members of the Executive Board.
C. Ten (10) members of the Society constitute a quorum for the enactment of business in a general meeting of the Society.
SECTION 6 - Amendments to the By laws
- Proposed amendments to the By laws must be made available to the Society members in writing and distributed in a meeting held at least thirty (30) days before the meeting at which the vote is to take place.
SECTION 7 - Standing Committees
A. Program Committee: This committee shall be composed of the Vice president of the Society and other interested members. It shall plan and be responsible for the non business portion of general meetings at which informational, educational and entertainment activities will take place. Provisions will be made for speakers, films, workshops, field trips, etc.
B. Membership Committee: This committee shall be composed of the Secretary of the Society and other interested members. It shall engage in efforts to maintain, expand and strengthen the society's membership.
C. Finance Committee: This committee shall be composed of the Treasurer of the Society and other interested members. It shall have general oversight of the society's finances and see that investments and savings are being managed efficiently.
D. Publicity Committee: This committee shall be composed of the Vice president and other interested members. It shall be responsible for publicizing society programs, events, and purposes both within the Society and among the general public.
E. History Committee: This committee shall be composed of the President and other interested members. It shall have responsibility to further those purposes of the Society, as stated in the constitution which are unique to and characteristic of a historical society - to wit - matters of researching and recording historical subject matter.
F. Auditing Committee: This committee shall be composed of those members who wish to serve and who do not have immediate responsibility for the handling of funds. This committee shall be responsible for an annual audit of the Society's finances and present a report of the same to a general meeting of the Society held in April.
G. Archives Committee: This committee shall be composed of the President, the Chairman of the History Committee and other interested members appointed by the president. It shall have responsibility for acquiring, documenting, preserving, displaying and disposing of all archival materials that belong to the Society.
H. Mayfest Committee: This committee shall be composed of a chair and other interested members appointed by the President. It shall be responsible for preparations for the annual Mayfest program, should that program be continued.
I. Preservation Committee: This committee shall be composed of a chair and other interested members appointed by the President. It shall have responsibility for focusing on protecting the historic resources and community character of East Donegal Township through education and advocacy.
SECTION 8 - Special Committees
A. Special committees shall be instituted by the President from time to time to meet specific, limited goals of the Society.
Attachment 1 to By laws
MAYTOWN HISTORICAL SOCIETY ORGANIZATION CHART
*revised June 13, 2000
PO Box 293